Friday, February 11, 2011

Door Decor

So it was only a matter of time before I painted my pantry door blue. I did it in my old house and loved it and I have been itchin' to get this one done ever since we moved in. I used the same color as the hutch since they were in close proximity (Benjamin Moore "rocky coast"). You can go on my "old home tour" page to see a lighter shade of blue I used in my old house that I really like too. It feels just a little more like home now!



I know it seems scary to paint a door (husbands generally don't like the idea either). But really it would be so easy to paint it back to white if you really hate it. Just make sure to do a good paint job- or hire a professional so that it still looks good if you have to repaint it. I had to promise my husband this is the last door I am painting (I had already painted the door in the dining room that goes outside black - he didn't love it like I did). Pick a door that stands out or is a focal point and decorate it! Sarah Richardson - a decorator I absolutely love on hgtv- painted some closet doors and a bathroom door in a mudroom she designed in bright Red. Click here to see how cute it looks! Finally I added this metal Fleur de Lys I found at hobby lobby ($10 -half off). I was able to use Command Velcro strips to hang it - so there is no hole in my door and it can easily be removed. I worried about it holding such a heavy piece of metal but it has been a couple weeks now and I am confidant it isn't going anywhere! These command strips have "opened up" (no pun intended) a whole new world of door decor for me - you could attach almost anything to doors now without any damage - a picture, an alphabet letter, hooks, etc. - just make sure there is a good flat area on the back to attach the command strip to and you are good to go!

2 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen! I think the door and hutch compliment the other colors so well! What is the color in your kitchen? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete